The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. Various measure will be used to manage construction impacts.
All major construction activities will be evaluated for their impacts on traffic to ensure construction is sequenced in a manner that imposes the lowest feasible impact on the traveling public. While traffic shifts and mid-day/overnight lane closures are necessary to complete the work, all existing lanes will remain open during morning and evening commuting times, and all ramp detours will be temporary and short-term in duration.
Weekly Travel Advisories
See below for the list of traffic advisories for the upcoming week.
New Jersey side
- Route 175/Upper River Road – Closures with thru-traffic detoured in both directions to nearby Route 29 noon to 8 p.m. Monday, July 6, AND 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, July 7, to Friday, July 10.
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – An around-the-clock closure with a shift of traffic through the adjoining I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts for travel toward Trenton and other points south
- I-295 NB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern extending onto the new completed upstream span of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, July 6, to Friday, July 10.
- I-295 SB (NJ-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted noon to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, July 6, AND 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Tuesday, July 7, through Friday, July 10.
- I-295 SB Entry Ramp from NJ Route 175/River Road – 24/7 closure continuing through spring 2021. DETOUR: Use the southern roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 interchange to access the on-ramp for I-295 SB
- Woodside Road between Delaware Canal and PA Route 32/River Road – Closed and detoured 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, July 7, to Friday, July 10. Affected motorists are advised to use Mt. Eyre Road to the north and East Afton Ave./PA Route 332 for connections with Taylorsville Road and Route 32/River Road when the Woodside Road closure is in effect. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 WB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern – if needed for construction activities – permitted west of the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, July 6, to Friday, July 10.
- I-295 EB and the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge NJ-bound – Off-peak intermittent single-lane travel – if needed for construction activities – noon.to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, July 6, AND 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Tuesday, July 7, through Friday, July 10.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel noon.to 4 p.m. Monday, July 6, AND 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, July 7, to Friday, July 10.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel noon.to 6 p.m. Monday, July 6, AND 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 7, to Friday, July 10.
- Woodside Road/Taylorsville Road Intersection – Intermittent lane closures controlled by flaggers noon.to 6 p.m. Monday, July 6, AND 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 7, to Friday, July 10.
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Possible intermittent traffic stoppages controlled by flaggers noon to 5 p.m. Monday, July 6, and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, July 7, to Friday, July 10.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
A moratorium on project-related lane closures will be in effect for the Independence Day holiday travel weekend from 6 a.m. Thursday, July 2, to noon, Monday, July 6 – one exception: NJ Route 175/Upper River Road is expected to be closed and detoured 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, July 2. No project-related lane closures are scheduled for the weekend of July 11-12.
Delaware Canal Towpath (PA side) – Intermittent daytime closures possible 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays for overhead I-295 approach bridge construction through July; open on weekends.
Delaware & Raritan Canal Towpath (NJ side) –Intermittent daytime closures possible Mondays through Fridays through July.
Traffic Shift Map for Rescheduled NJ Route 29 SB Bypass Closure
Detour for the NJ Rte. 175/River Road On-Ramp to I-295 SB (Pink Map)
Intermittent Daytime Closures of Delaware Canal Towpath Possible through January 2020