The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. Various measure will be used to manage construction impacts.
All major construction activities will be evaluated for their impacts on traffic to ensure construction is sequenced in a manner that imposes the lowest feasible impact on the traveling public. While traffic shifts and mid-day/overnight lane closures are necessary to complete the work, all existing lanes will remain open during morning and evening commuting times, and all ramp detours will be temporary and short-term in duration.
Weekly Travel Advisories
See below for the list of traffic advisories for the upcoming week.
- I-295 EB & WB in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel patterns possible due to construction along I-295 on the NJ side of the Scudder Falls Bridge Monday, Feb. 18, through Friday, Feb. 22.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Feb.18, to Friday, Feb. 22.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18, to Friday, Feb. 22.
- Woodside Road – Right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18, to Friday, Feb. 22.
- PA Route 32/River Road –Intermittent stoppages for equipment movements and alternating traffic controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18 to Friday, Feb. 22.
New Jersey side
- I-295 EB/SB (old I-95 NB) crossing the Scudder Falls Bridge into New Jersey – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) on Monday, Feb. 18, through Friday, Feb. 22.
- I-295 NB/WB (old I-95 SB) approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge Pennsylvania-bound – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns Monday, Feb. 18, through Friday, Feb. 22, 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day).
- 24/7 Closure/Detour of I-295 EB/SB Exit Ramp to Route 29 NB (first exit in NJ after crossing Scudder Falls Bridge from Pennsylvania) – Starts approximately 4 a.m. Monday, Feb. and continuing until June 24; Detour - Continue along I-295 SB to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB for return to the Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) and the ramp to Route 29 NB. (CLICK HERE TO SEE ORANGE DETOUR MAP)
- 24/7 Closure/Detour of Route 29 SB & NB entry ramps to I-295 NB/WB and PA-bound travel on the Scudder Falls Bridge – Starts approximately 4 a.m. Monday, Feb. 18, and continuing until June 24; Detour - Proceed into the downstream roundabout and use the ramp for I-295 SB, follow to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB and travel across the bridge to I-295 WB in Pennsylvania. – (CLICK HERE TO SEE BLUE DETOUR MAP)
- 24/7 Closure/Detour of I-295 NB exit ramp to Route 29 SB (last exit in NJ) – Starts approximately 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 18, and continuing until June 24; Detour - Proceed across the Scudder Falls Bridge for a U-turn at the Taylorsville Road interchange (Exit 10) in Pennsylvania, taking I-295 SB across the bridge for connection with Route 29 SB via the first New Jersey exit ramp and the downstream roundabout. (CLICK HERE TO SEE GREEN DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 NB bypass roadway – Intermittent short-duration, flagger-controlled stoppages 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18, to Friday, Feb. 22.
- Route 175/River Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel patterns controlled by flaggers approximately daytime and overnight Monday, Feb. 18, to Friday, Feb. 22.
Weekends: Aside from any Friday overnight travel restrictions extending into Saturdays and the uninterrupted 24/7 ramp closures at the I-295/Route 29 interchange, no other lane closures and detours are scheduled for the weekends of Feb. 16-17 and 23-24.
Canal Towpaths near the Scudder Falls Bridge:
NJ side - Intermittent daytime and nighttime closures of the Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath segment in New Jersey are now expected to continue until Feb. 17. (Note: New Jersey towpath closures may occur on weekdays and weekends, but Sunday closures are unlikely.)
PA side – New end date - Intermittent weekday closures of the Delaware Canal towpath segment in Pennsylvania have been EXTENDED and are now scheduled to end until March 20.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
Detour for Closure of I-295 EB/SB Access Ramp to Rte. 29 NB Will be 24/7 for 18 Weeks Starting Monday, Feb. 18 (Orange Map)
Detour Map for Closure of On Ramp to I-295 NB/WB and the Scudder Falls Bridge (PA-bound) from Route 29 SB&NB Starting Feb. 18
Detour for Closure of I-295 NB Exit Ramp to Route 29 SB 24/7 for 18 Consecutive Weeks Starting Feb. 18
18-Week 24-7 Ramp Closures/Detours for Upstream Roundabout Construction at I-295/NJ Route 29 Interchange (Exit 76) Feb. 18 - June 24
UPDATE - Intermittent Weekday Closures of PA Delaware Canal Towpath Extended to March 20
EXTENDED - Intermittent Closures of NJ D&R Canal Towpath Section near Scudder Falls Bridge until Feb. 17