The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. Various measure will be used to manage construction impacts.
All major construction activities will be evaluated for their impacts on traffic to ensure construction is sequenced in a manner that imposes the lowest feasible impact on the traveling public. While traffic shifts and mid-day/overnight lane closures are necessary to complete the work, all existing lanes will remain open during morning and evening commuting times, and all ramp detours will be temporary and short-term in duration.
Weekly Travel Advisories
See below for the list of traffic advisories for the upcoming week.
New Jersey side
- Route 29 NB Bypass – The around-the-clock closure with traffic diversion through I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts to Route 29 NB upstream of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge is scheduled to end before noon Wednesday, Feb. 26. Until then, travel through the interchange’s roundabouts and connector ramps for reconnection with mainline Route 29 NB for travel toward Washington Crossing. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 SB Bypass – An around-the-clock closure with a shift of traffic through the adjoining I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts for travel toward Trenton is scheduled to begin approximately noon Wednesday, Feb. 26. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 NB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern extending onto the new completed upstream span of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Feb. 24, to Friday, Feb. 28.
- I-295 SB (NJ-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Feb. 24, to Friday, Feb. 28.
- Route 29 SB & NB in the vicinity of Scudder Falls Toll Bridge – Intermittent FLAGGER-controlled travel 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Feb. 24, to Friday, Feb. 28.
- NJ Route 175/River Road Entry Ramp to I-295 SB – 24/7 closure continuing through spring 2021. DETOUR: Use the southern roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 interchange to access the on-ramp for I-295 SB.
- I-295 WB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern – if needed for construction activities – permitted west of the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Feb. 24, through Friday, Feb. 28.
- I-295 EB approaching the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge and continuing across the bridge to NJ where the designation becomes I-295 SB – Off-peak intermittent single-lane travel – if needed for construction activities – 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Feb. 24, through Friday, Feb. 28.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Feb. 24, to Friday, Feb. 28.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Feb. 24, to Friday, Feb. 28.
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Possible intermittent traffic stoppages controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Feb. 24, to Friday, Feb. 28.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
Aside from the respective closures of NJ Route 29 bypass lanes, no project-related lane closures are scheduled for the weekends of Feb. 22-23 and Feb. 29-March 1.
Delaware Canal Towpath (PA side) – Intermittent daytime closures possible 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays for overhead I-295 approach bridge construction now through March; open on weekends.
Delaware & Raritan Canal Towpath (NJ side) – Scheduled to be open now through March.
NJ Route 29 Bypass Diversion Map Ending Noon Feb. 18
Detour for the NJ Rte. 175/River Road On-Ramp to I-295 SB (Pink Map)
Intermittent Daytime Closures of Delaware Canal Towpath Possible through January 2020