Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project construction has entered a new phase of activity. The delivery and installation of steel girders has resumed for the upstream span of the new bridge at mid-river. Reallignments of the interchanges at Taylorsville Road in Pennsylvania and Route 29 have resulted in new travel patterns and lane/ramp closures. I-295 westbound in Pennsylvania has shifted to the left side of the road corridor and is expected to remain in this pattern into 2019. Motorists are urged to keep abreast of further changes, slow down in construction areas, and allow extra time to reach their destinations during this period of work activities at multiple locations in the 4.4-mile project area in Ewing, N.J. and Lower Makefield, PA.
A 24/7 detour of Route 29 southbound traffic remains in effect in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge until 6 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28. Affected Route 29 SB traffic is being detoured to nearby NJ Route 175, Upper River Road in Ewing. A detour also is in effect at the slip ramp to Route 29 south from I-295 north (old I-95 south), with traffic also will being directed to nearby Route 175.
The full schedule of travel restrictions for the week of Aug. 26 is as follows:
- Route 29 SB approaching the I-295 interchange – An extended detour in place 24/7 until 6 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28, with traffic routed onto nearby NJ Route 175/Upper River Road
- I-295 NB off-ramp to Route 29 SB – Continuous closure with detour via nearby NJ ROute 175/River Road until 6 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28
- I-95 north from the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49) to the Scudder Falls Bridge – Intermittent single-lane travel configurations 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Aug. 27, through Thursday, Aug. 30
- I-95 south from the Scudder Falls Bridge to the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (exit 49) – Intermittent single-lane travel configurations 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. (next day) Monday, Aug. 27, through Wednesday, Aug. 29; and 8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30, to 6 a.m. Friday, Aug. 31
- Taylorsville Rd. (Lower Makefield, PA) in vicinity of I-95 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 27, to Thursday, Aug. 30
- River Road/Route 32 – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 27, to Thursday, Aug. 30
- Woodside Rd. (west of Taylorsville Rd.) – Right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flaggers 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 27, to Thursday, Aug. 30
Weekends: Aside from the continuous Route 29 SB roadway and ramp closures and carryover of possible travel restrictions from Friday, Aug. 24, into Saturday, Aug. 25, no other project-related closures are scheduled for the weekend of Aug. 25-26. Labor Day Holiday Weekend: By contract, project-related travel restrictions are to be suspended from 6 a.m. Friday, Aug. 31, to noon Tuesday, Sept. 4
NJ Delaware & Raritan (D&R) Canal Towpath: The Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath on the New Jersey side of the Scudder Falls Bridge is closed during daytime hours (approximately 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.) to ensure public safety during a new phase of project construction near the canal. TOWPATH WILL BE OPEN Saturday, Aug. 25, and Sunday, Aug. 26. A map of the affected area can be viewed here.
PA Delaware Canal Towpath: The towpath for the Delaware Canal on the Pennsylvania side of the Scudder Falls Bridge will be closed for mobilization and construction activities (UPDATED – during daytime hours) Mondays through Saturdays. Unimpeded public access is assured Sundays-only through August. A map of the closed area may be accessed here.