EWING, NJ – The anticipated full opening of the roundabout nearing completion on the downstream side of the I-295/Route 29 interchange in New Jersey is now scheduled for Sunday, November 4 – weather permitting.
Some overnight lane and ramp closures will be needed on two successive nights at the interchange to bring the roundabout fully online. The roundabout is the first of two that will be constructed at the interchange as part of the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project.
Meanwhile, in Lower Makefield, PA, Woodside Road between Route 32/River Road and Taylorsville Road is scheduled to be closed for milling and paving work during daytime hours on Friday, Nov. 2, and Saturday, Nov. 3. Access will be maintained to the park-and-ride lot.
The full schedule of project-related travel restrictions for the week of October 28 is as follows:
New Jersey side
- I-295 NB/WB (Pennsylvania-bound)/old I-95 SB) approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Oct. 29, through Friday, Nov. 2.
- I-295 EB/SB (New Jersey-bound/old I-95 NB) crossing the Scudder Falls Bridge into New Jersey – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Oct. 29, through Friday, Nov. 2.
- I-295/Route 29 Interchange (Exit 76, old exit 1) – Various ramps on the downstream side of the interchange will have OVERNIGHT closures with posted detours 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Friday, Nov. 2, and Saturday, Nov. 3. The following traffic movements will be affected:
- I-295 EB/SB off-ramp to Route 29 NB or SB immediately after crossing the Scudder Falls Bridge into NJ from PA – follow I-295 SB to the County Route 579/Bear Tavern Rd. interchange (Exit 75), cross over I-295, proceed onto I-295 NB toward the bridge, and take the off-ramp at the I-295/Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) to access Route 29 SB or NB. (See NJ PURPLE map)
- Route 29 NB on-ramp to I-195 NB/WB and Scudder Falls Bridge PA-bound – Follow the on-ramp to I-295 SB, proceed to the County Route 579/Bear Tavern Road interchange (Exit 75), cross over I-295, access I-295 NB, and proceed toward the Scudder Falls Bridge into PA. (See GREEN map)
- Route 175/River Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel may be implemented approximately 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 29, to Friday, Nov. 2.
- I-295 EB & WB in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns possible during off-peak/overnight hours for construction along I-295 on the NJ side of the Scudder Falls Bridge Monday, Oct. 29, through Friday, Nov. 2.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Oct. 29, to Friday, Nov. 2 (Queueing and delays are possible 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 2, and Saturday, Nov. 3, due to work taking place near the Woodside Road/Taylorsville Road intersection.)
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 29, to Friday, Nov. 2.
- Woodside Road (west of Taylorsville Road to around Clearview Drive) – Right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 29, to Friday, Nov. 2.
- Woodside Road (east of Taylorsville Road to the Delaware Canal) – Full closure with posted detours 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Nov. 2, and Saturday, Nov. 3. Local access will be permitted, including for the park-and-ride lot that is now owned by the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission. Motorists seeking to access Route 32/River Road are advised to use either Afton Avenue (Yardley) to the south or Mt. Eyre Road (Lower Makefield and Upper Makefield) to the north. (See Detour Map)
Weekends: Friday overnight travel restrictions along I-295 approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge may carry over to Saturdays, Nov. 3 and Nov. 10. Also see the aforementioned daytime closure/detour at Woodside Road in Lower Makefield, PA. on Nov. 3; and the overnight detours of some I-295/Route 29 interchange ramps in Ewing, N.J., on Nov. 2-3.
(Note: Night work during the week will consist of sewer line installation along Taylorsville Road in Pennsylvania:, drainage installation in the vicinity of Route 29 and I-295 in New Jersey; demolition of the approach bridge across Route 175/River Road and the Delaware & Raritan Canal in New Jersey; and demolition within the I-295 highway median in New Jersey.)
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.