LOWER MAKEFIELD, NJ – Motorists who access I-295 West (old I-95 South) from the on-ramp off Taylorsville Road in Lower Makefield, PA. will encounter a six-week-long closure and posted detour starting Wednesday, May 29.
The entry ramp which feeds traffic onto I-295 West toward Philadelphia needs to be closed down to allow for reconstruction and repaving as park of the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project. If all goes according to the project schedule, the reconstructed ramp should reopen to traffic shortly after the Fourth of July holiday weekend.
Over the 40 days or so that the ramp is out of service, a posted detour will be in effect via the Scudder Falls Bridge and the Scotch Road interchange (Exit 73A) in New Jersey. The detour was determined in consultation with the Pennsylvania and New Jersey departments of transportation.
Memorial Day Weekend – A moratorium on project-related lane closures will go into effect 6 a.m. Friday, May 24, and remain in place through the weekend until noon Tuesday, May 28. However, the around-the-clock ramp closures currently in effect on the upstream side of the I-295/NJ Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) will continue to remain in place through the weekend holiday travel period.
The full schedule of project-related travel restrictions for the week of May 26 follows:
- Taylorsville Road Access Ramp to I-295 WB (old I-95 SB) – A six-week, around-the-clock closure will go into effect on or about 6 a.m. Wednesday, May 29. The posted detour will be as follows: Proceed to the on-ramp for I-295 South toward New Jersey, cross the Scudder Falls Bridge and continue on I-295 South to the Scotch Road interchange (Exit 73A), use the loop ramps to cross over I-295 and enter I-295 North back toward the bridge, and cross the Scudder Falls Bridge into Pennsylvania where the highway designation changes to I-295 West toward Philadelphia. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW PURPLE DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 WB from the bridge to the Route 332/Newtown-Yardley Road interchange (Exit 8) – Off-peak Intermittent single-lane travel – if needed for construction – 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Tuesday, May 28, to Friday, May 31.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel noon to 4 p.m. Tuesday, May 28, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, May 29, to Friday, Thursday, May 31.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 28, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 29, to Friday, May 31.
- Woodside Road – Intermittent right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 28, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 29, to Friday, May 31.
- PA Route 32/River Road – Intermittent alternating traffic controlled by flaggers noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday, May 28, and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday, May 29, to Friday, May 31.
New Jersey side
- I-295 NB/WB (old I-95 SB) approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge from New Jersey to Pennsylvania – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel patterns 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Tuesday, May 28, through Friday, May 31.
- I-295/Route 29 Interchange (Exit 76) – The following closures and detours are 24/7 until late June and will remain in place through the Memorial Day weekend:
- I-295 EB/SB Exit Ramp to Route 29 NB (first exit in NJ after crossing Scudder Falls Bridge from Pennsylvania) – Continue along I-295 SB to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB for return to the Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) and the ramp to Route 29 NB. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW ORANGE DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 SB & NB entry ramps to I-295 NB/WB and PA-bound travel on the Scudder Falls Bridge –Proceed into the downstream roundabout and use the ramp for I-295 SB, follow to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB and travel across the bridge to I-295 WB in Pennsylvania. – (CLICK HERE TO VIEW BLUE DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 NB exit ramp to Route 29 SB (at last exit in NJ) – Proceed across the Scudder Falls Bridge for a U-turn at the Taylorsville Road interchange (Exit 10) in PA, take I-295 SB across the bridge for connection with Route 29 SB via the first NJ exit ramp and the downstream roundabout. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW GREEN DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 NB bypass roadway – Intermittent short-duration, flagger-controlled stoppages noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday, May 28, and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday, May 29, to Friday, May 31.
- Route 175/Upper River Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel patterns noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 28, and 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 29, to Friday, May 31.
Canal Towpaths near the Scudder Falls Bridge:
- NJ side – Intermittent daytime and nighttime closures of the Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath segment in New Jersey to continue through May. Open weekends.
- PA side – Occasional weekday closures of the Delaware Canal towpath segment in Pennsylvania until June – but open on weekends.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.