LOWER MAKEFIELD, PA – The closure of select exit and entry ramps at the I-295/NJ Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) on the New Jersey side of the Scudder Falls Bridge will continue into its third week – part of a series of travel restrictions scheduled for the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project next week.
The full list of possible and definite lane/ramp closures and detours for next week is as follows:
- I-295 EB & WB in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel patterns possible due to construction/demolition along I-295 on the NJ side of the Scudder Falls Bridge Monday, March 4, through Friday, March 8.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, March 4, to Friday, March 8.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, March 4, to Friday, March 8.
- Woodside Road – Intermittent right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, March 4, to Friday, March 8.
- PA Route 32/River Road – Intermittent alternating traffic controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, March 4, to Friday, March 8.
New Jersey side
- I-295/Route 29 Interchange (Exit 76) – The following closures and detours are 24/7 until late June:
- I-295 EB/SB Exit Ramp to Route 29 NB (first exit in NJ after crossing Scudder Falls Bridge from Pennsylvania) – Continue along I-295 SB to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB for return to the Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) and the ramp to Route 29 NB. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW ORANGE DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 SB & NB entry ramps to I-295 NB/WB and PA-bound travel on the Scudder Falls Bridge –Proceed into the downstream roundabout and use the ramp for I-295 SB, follow to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB and travel across the bridge to I-295 WB in Pennsylvania. – (CLICK HERE TO VIEW BLUE DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 NB exit ramp to Route 29 SB (at last exit in NJ) – Proceed across the Scudder Falls Bridge for a U-turn at the Taylorsville Road interchange (Exit 10) in PA, take I-295 SB across the bridge for connection with Route 29 SB via the first NJ exit ramp and the downstream roundabout. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW GREEN DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 EB/SB (old I-95 NB) crossing the Scudder Falls Bridge into New Jersey – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) on Monday, March 4, through Friday, March 8.
- I-295 NB/WB (old I-95 SB) approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge Pennsylvania-bound – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns Monday, March 4, through Friday, March 8, 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day).
- Route 29 NB bypass roadway – Intermittent short-duration, flagger-controlled stoppages 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, March 4, to Friday, March 8.
- Route 175/River Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel patterns controlled by flaggers 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, March 4, to Friday, March 8.
Additional info on the select I-295/Route 29 interchange ramp closures:
- Only select travel movements within the interchange are affected:
- I-295 EB/SB exit ramp to Route 29 NB (first exit in NJ after crossing Scudder Falls Bridge into New Jersey)
- Route 29 SB&NB entry ramps to I-295 NB/WB and the Scudder Falls Bridge (Pennsylvania bound)
- I-295 NB exit ramp to Route 29 SB (last exit in NJ)
- The posted detours at the interchange are needed to allow for the construction of a roundabout on the upstream side of the I-295/Route 29 interchange.
- The Scudder Falls Bridge, I-295 and Route 29 remain open to thru-traffic.
- The following interchange ramp movements remain OPEN:
- Route 29 NB & SB on-ramp to I-295 SB (toward Princeton)
- I-295 NB exit ramp to Route 29 NB (last New Jersey exit before the bridge)
- I-295 EB/SB exit ramp to Route 29 SB (first New Jersey exit after crossing the bridge from Pennsylvania)
- Guidance: Route 29 motorists seeking to access the Scudder Falls Bridge for crossings into Pennsylvania should follow detour signs for I-295 WB (I-295 NB in New Jersey becomes I-295 WB in Pennsylvania).
Weekends: Aside from any Friday overnight travel restrictions extending into Saturdays and the uninterrupted 24/7 ramp closures at the I-295/Route 29 interchange, no other lane closures and detours are scheduled for the weekends of Feb. 23-24 and March 2-3.
Canal Towpaths near the Scudder Falls Bridge:
NJ side – UPDATE – Intermittent daytime and nighttime closures of the Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath segment in New Jersey have been extended to Sunday, March 10. New Jersey towpath closures may occur on weekdays and weekends, but Sunday closures are unlikely.)
PA side – Intermittent weekday closures of the Delaware Canal towpath segment in Pennsylvania until March 20.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.