LOWER MAKEFIELD, PA – The rescheduled closures and detours of the Woodside Road segment near the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge are now set to begin on or about Monday, March 29.
When implemented, the travel restriction will affect the portion of Woodside Road between PA Route 32/River Road and Taylorsville Road in Lower Makefield Twp., PA. It is scheduled to be in effect 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Saturday for up to four weeks, ending sometime in mid-April.
Detours for travel between PA Route 32/River Road and Taylorsville Road would be at PA Route 332/East Afton Avenue to the south and Mount Eyre Road to the north. A detour map is attached.
The public will still be able to access the Commission-owned park-and-ride lot at the corner of Woodside and Taylorsville roads, as well as the nearby 1799 House trailhead and the Delaware Canal towpath. Note: Towpath access may be restricted in the area of I-295 on some weekdays.
The near-daily road closures will allow Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project work crews to establish a wetlands mitigation area on the property at southwest corner of Woodside and River roads. The parcel had been used as a construction staging area for the bridge project over the past four years.
The Commission intends to maintain the wetlands site in perpetuity once the conversion work is completed.
The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project full schedule of travel restrictions for the week of March 28 are as follows:
- Woodside Road between PA Route 32/River Road and Taylorsville Road – Closure with detours at Mt. Eyre Road to the north and PA Route 332/East Afton Ave. to the south — 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, March 29 (tentative start date), to Friday, April 2. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW DETOUR MAP)
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Brief traffic stoppages possible in the vicinity of where River Road/PA Route 32 crosses beneath the Scudder Falls (I-295) Toll Bridge, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, March 29, to Friday, April 2.
- I-295 WB (PA-Bound) in vicinity of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted west of the bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, March 29, through Friday, April 2.
- I-295 EB and the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge (NJ-bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, March 29, through Friday, April 2.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, March 29, to Friday, April 2.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, March 29, to Friday, April 2.
New Jersey side
- I-295 NB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern extending onto the new completed upstream span of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, March 29, through Friday, April 2.
- I-295 SB (NJ-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, March 29, through Friday, April 2.
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – Continuing 24/7 closure with traffic shifted through the adjoining I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts for travel toward Trenton or onto I-295. ALSO, periodic traffic stoppages controlled by flaggers may be necessary in the detour area Monday through Friday.
- Route 29 SB Connector Lane between Roundabouts – Periodic brief stoppages by flaggers are possible at any time Monday, March 29, through Friday, April 2.
- NJ Route 175/Upper River Road entry ramp to I-295 SB – 24/7 closure continuing through spring 2021. DETOUR: Use the southern roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 interchange to access the on-ramp for I-295 SB.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
- Closure of the NJ Route 29 SB bypass lane beneath the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge in New Jersey;
- Easter weekend – Except for the immediately preceding restriction, project-related road and ramp closures will be suspended for Easter weekend from 6 a.m. Saturday to noon Monday, April 5;
- No other project-related lane closures are scheduled for March 27-28 and April 3-4.
Delaware Canal Towpath (PA side) – Intermittent stoppages to ensure public safety for work in the vicinity of the approach bridge that carries I-295 across the Delaware Canal weekdays. Open weekends.
Delaware & Raritan Canal Towpath (NJ side) – Daily closure/stoppages possible 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. These restrictions – when implemented – will allow for construction of a connecting path and access ramp to the shared-use bike-ped facility that is expected to open on the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge in fall 2021. Canal path open on weekends.