EWING, NJ – The NJ Route 29 bypass roadway at the I-295/Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) will be closed during overnight hours next week as part of the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
(Note: These overnight detours will have no bearing on thru traffic along I-295 or the Scudder Falls Bridge.)
The travel restrictions are needed to allow for demolition activities on the old approach bridge that carries I-295 (old I-95) across Route 29 NB, Route 175/River Road, and the Delaware & Raritan Canal on the New Jersey side of the Scudder Falls Bridge. The structure is being demolished, replaced and widened in stages as part of the ongoing Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project.
The full schedule of project-related travel restrictions for the week of Jan. 20 is as follows:
New Jersey side
- Route 29 NB bypass – OVERNIGHT closures with detours 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Jan. 21, through Thursday, Jan. 24; 10 p.m. Friday, Jan. 25, to 7 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 26; and 10 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, to 8 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 27. DETOURS – Route 29 NB motorists will be directed through the interchange via the downstream roundabout on Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday nights. On Wednesday through Friday nights, affected motorists will be directed to follow West Upper Ferry Road to nearby Route 175/River Road for reconnection with Route 29 NB.
- I-295 EB/SB (old I-95 NB) crossing the Scudder Falls Bridge into New Jersey – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Jan. 21, through Friday, Jan. 25.
- I-295 NB/WB (old I-95 SB) approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge Pennsylvania-bound – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Jan. 21, through Friday, Jan. 25.
- Route 175/River Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel patterns controlled by flaggers approximately 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21, to Friday, Jan. 25.
- I-295 EB & WB in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel patterns possible due to construction along I-295 on the NJ side of the Scudder Falls Bridge Monday, Jan. 21, through Friday, Jan. 25.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21, to Friday, Jan. 25.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21, to Friday, Jan. 25.
- Woodside Road – Right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21, to Friday, Jan. 25.
- PA Route 32/River Road –Intermittent stoppages and alternating traffic controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21, to Friday, Jan. 25.
Weekends: Aside from the overnight closures of the Route 29 NB bypass and any Friday overnight travel restrictions extending into Saturdays, no other lane closures and detours are scheduled for the weekends of Jan. 19-20 and Jan. 26-27.
Canal Towpath Sections near the Scudder Falls Bridge: Intermittent weekday closures of the Delaware Canal towpath segment in Pennsylvania have been extended; they are now expected to continue until February 20. Intermittent daytime and nighttime closures of the Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath segment in New Jersey also have been extended; they are now expected to continue until February 3. Note: New Jersey towpath closures may occur on weekdays and weekends, although Sunday closures are very unlikely.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.