EWING, NJ – NJ Route 29 SB in the area of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge is rescheduled to be closed and detoured one night next week for the installation of traffic-control measures that will allow for construction of a shared-use connector path between the bridge and the Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath over the next year.
The travel restriction is now expected to take place between 8 p.m. Thursday, April 16, and 6 a.m. Friday, April 17. In the event of inclement weather, the closure/detour will be rescheduled for the following night.
During the closure period, affected Route 29 SB traffic will be detoured to nearby NJ Route 175/Upper River Road, which also runs north-south in close proximity to the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge.
When installed, the traffic-control measures will provide a safe work zone where construction workers can build a connector walkway from the new bridge’s shared-use pathway and New Jersey’s D&R canal towpath. The full bicycle-pedestrian facility is currently projected to be open for public use in late summer 2021.
The full schedule of travel restrictions for the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project for the week of April 12 is as follows:
New Jersey side
- Route 29 SB approaching the I-295/Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) – OVERNIGHT closure 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Thursday, April 16. (Rain date – Friday, April 17) Detour via nearby NJ Route 175/Upper Ferry Road.
- Route 175/Upper River Road – Closed weekdays with thru-traffic detoured in both directions to nearby Route 29 noon to 8 p.m. Monday, April 13 and 8 a.m. to 8.p.m. Tuesday, April 14, to Friday, April 17. Use nearby Route 29 as an alternate travel route when daytime closure is in effect.
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – An around-the-clock closure with a shift of traffic through the adjoining I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts for travel toward Trenton and other points south. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 NB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern extending onto the new completed upstream span of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, April 13, to Friday, April 17.
- I-295 SB (NJ-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted noon Monday, April 13, to 6 a.m. Tuesday, April 14 and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (next day) Tuesday, April 14, to Friday, April 17.
- NJ Route 175/River Road Entry Ramp to I-295 SB – 24/7 closure continuing through spring 2021. DETOUR: Use the southern roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 interchange to access the on-ramp for I-295 SB.
- I-295 WB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern – if needed for construction activities – permitted west of the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, April 13, through Friday, April 17.
- I-295 EB approaching the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge and continuing across the bridge to NJ where the designation becomes I-295 SB – Off-peak intermittent single-lane travel – if needed for construction activities – noon to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, April 13, and 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Tuesday, April 14, through Friday, April 17.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel noon to 4 p.m. Monday, April 13, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, April 14, to Friday, April 17.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel noon. to 6 p.m. Monday, April 13, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 14, to Friday, April 17
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Possible intermittent traffic stoppages controlled by flaggers noon to 5 p.m. Monday, April 13, and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, April 14, to Friday, April 17.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
A moratorium on project-related travel restrictions will be in effect from 6 a.m. Saturday, April 11, to noon Monday, April 13. Aside from the uninterrupted NJ Route 29 SB bypass lane closure, no project-related lane closures are scheduled for the weekend of April 18-19.
Delaware Canal Towpath (PA side) – Intermittent daytime closures possible 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays for overhead I-295 approach bridge construction now through April; both paths open on weekends.
Delaware & Raritan Canal Towpath (NJ side) – Closed to public use under a gubernatorial coronavirus-response order issued Tuesday, April 7.