The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. In part to avoid traffic impacts, trestle causeways are being built into the river to enable work crews to access and build the new bridge from both shorelines.
See below for the list of major construction tasks that are underway. Check back regularly as construction schedules are subject to change.
Construction Update - Week of June 21
Major project work activities for the week of June 21 include:
- Install barrier for retaining wall in PA and construct foundations for sign structures.
- Continue road construction on I-295 NB between the canal bridge and the main river bridge.
- Construct parapet at the canal and Taylorsville Road bridges.
- Excavate bottom and place stone/prepared soil in retention basin.
- Construct mountable median curb, pave/patch and strip Taylorsville Road.
- On the Main River Bridge; rub/patch/stain piers 3 and 4. Continue installing deck bulkheads for section of the deck, strip deck forms and begin parapet formwork. Place concrete for northbound main river bridge sections at night, through the morning rush.
- Continue construction of NJ pedestrian walkway and retaining wall.
- See related traffic diversions: In NJ, all Rt. 29 southbound traffic will continue to be diverted through the new roundabouts and the 295 southbound by-pass will be closed until the summer of 2021. A 24/7 detour remains in effect on the ramp from Route 175 to I-295S until the summer of 2021.
|Project Construction Start||Spring 2017|
|Install temporary trestle upstream of the existing bridge||Completed/fully removed|
|Construct upstream span of the new bridge||Completed|
|Widening (to the inside) of the PA I-295 approach – from Exit 8 (old exit 49) to the bridge||Upstream half completed/second phase now in progress|
|First span of new bridge open to traffic||Opened overnight July 9, 2019|
|Start All-Electronic Tolling (PA-bound only)||July 14, 2019|
|Second span of new bridge open to traffic||Late 2021|
|Estimated Project Completion||Early 2022|