The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. In part to avoid traffic impacts, trestle causeways are being built into the river to enable work crews to access and build the new bridge from both shorelines.
See below for the list of major construction tasks that are underway. Check back regularly as construction schedules are subject to change.
Construction Update - Week of September 21
Major project work activities for the week of September 21 include:
- I-295: Pour T-wall cap and install guide rail in median.
- PA Approach: At the canal bridge, continue sleeper, continue curing and strip forms for approach slabs at both abutments.
- At PA side of pedestrian bridge, strip forms and patch/rub deck overhang.
- Main River Bridge: Continue installation of drainage and roadway construction. Continue installing deck formwork, shear studs and rebar. At Pier 1, continue formwork for pier caps. At Pier 2, continue construction of columns and place construction. At Pier 3, strip footing forms and remove cofferdam. At Pier 4, pour mud slab in cofferdam and begin drilled shaft foundations. Install shielding beneath main river bridge between pier 6 and abutment 2.
- NJ approach – Continue ITS/fiber cut-over and highway lighting conduit/ junction box installation at various locations. Continue wall installation at ramp walls in NJ. Excavate and install lagging for moment slabs and rip rap along west side of Route 175. Continue soldier pile/drilled shaft installation and continue abutment construction for the NJ pedestrian walkway.
- See related Route 29 North lane diversion, as well as closure of Rt. 175, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
|Project Construction Start||Spring 2017|
|Install temporary trestle upstream of the existing bridge||Completed/fully removed|
|Construct upstream span of the new bridge||Completed|
|Widening (to the inside) of the PA I-295 approach – from Exit 8 (old exit 49) to the bridge||Upstream half completed/second phase now in progress|
|First span of new bridge open to traffic||Opened overnight July 9, 2019|
|Start All-Electronic Tolling (PA-bound only)||July 14, 2019|
|Second span of new bridge open to traffic||Late 2021|
|Estimated Project Completion||Early 2022|