The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. In part to avoid traffic impacts, trestle causeways are being built into the river to enable work crews to access and build the new bridge from both shorelines.
See below for the list of major construction tasks that are underway. Check back regularly as construction schedules are subject to change.
Construction Update - Week of April 26
Major project work activities for the week of April 26 include:
- Continue barrier, sign structure foundation and sound wall anchor bolt construction at PA retaining walls. Continue I-295 road construction near Taylorsville Road intersection. Excavation, geotextile placement and soil preparation/placement at Basin D in PA.
- Main River Bridge: Continue installation of deck formwork, shear studs, overhangs and shielding at the Northbound span and begin deck rebar installation. Rub, patch and stain concrete surfaces at Piers 3 and 4. Continue parapet and approach slab construction. Continue deck rebar installation (day and night work)
- At the NJ pedestrian bridge, continue construction of walkway, install deck formwork and shear studs.
- In NJ, curb and guiderail construction on Route 175. Topsoil, seeding and tree planting along Route 29 NB and I-295. Barrier/moment slab construction on Route 28 SB.
- Install sign structure and continue ITS and highway lighting at various locations in PA and NJ.
- See related traffic diversions: In NJ, all Rt. 29 southbound traffic will continue to be diverted through the new roundabouts and the 295 southbound by-pass will be closed until the summer of 2021. A 24/7 detour remains in effect on the ramp from Route 175 to I-295S until the summer of 2021.
|Project Construction Start||Spring 2017|
|Install temporary trestle upstream of the existing bridge||Completed/fully removed|
|Construct upstream span of the new bridge||Completed|
|Widening (to the inside) of the PA I-295 approach – from Exit 8 (old exit 49) to the bridge||Upstream half completed/second phase now in progress|
|First span of new bridge open to traffic||Opened overnight July 9, 2019|
|Start All-Electronic Tolling (PA-bound only)||July 14, 2019|
|Second span of new bridge open to traffic||Late 2021|
|Estimated Project Completion||Early 2022|