The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. In part to avoid traffic impacts, trestle causeways are being built into the river to enable work crews to access and build the new bridge from both shorelines.
See below for the list of major construction tasks that are underway. Check back regularly as construction schedules are subject to change.
Construction Update - Week of March 21
Major project work activities for the week of March 21 include:
- Continue barrier construction and resume moment slab and barrier construction at PA retaining walls.
- Grind deck at PA canal bridge. Continue approach slab, header and parapet construction at NB Taylorsville Road bridge abutment.
- Perform road construction and drainage for widening on Taylorsville Road. Wetlands excavation along Woodside Road.
- Main River Bridge: Continue bolt-up for new NB girders. Continue surveying top of NB girders and begin installing deck formwork. Continue rub, patch concrete and stain Piers 3 and 4.
- Continue trestle/finger removal and install utility conduits between girders.
- Install sign structure and continue ITS and highway lighting at various locations in PA and NJ.
- Place topsoil and plant trees along NJ Route 29. Continue installation of soldier pile walls and drainage for the pedestrian walkway on New Jersey side.
- See related traffic diversions: In NJ, all Rt. 29 southbound traffic will continue to be diverted through the new roundabouts and the 295 southbound by-pass will be closed until the summer of 2021. A 24/7 detour remains in effect on the ramp from Route 175 to I-295S until the summer of 2021.
|Project Construction Start||Spring 2017|
|Install temporary trestle upstream of the existing bridge||Completed/fully removed|
|Construct upstream span of the new bridge||Completed|
|Widening (to the inside) of the PA I-295 approach – from Exit 8 (old exit 49) to the bridge||Upstream half completed/second phase now in progress|
|First span of new bridge open to traffic||Opened overnight July 9, 2019|
|Start All-Electronic Tolling (PA-bound only)||July 14, 2019|
|Second span of new bridge open to traffic||Late 2021|
|Estimated Project Completion||Early 2022|