The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. Various measure will be used to manage construction impacts.
All major construction activities will be evaluated for their impacts on traffic to ensure construction is sequenced in a manner that imposes the lowest feasible impact on the traveling public. While traffic shifts and mid-day/overnight lane closures are necessary to complete the work, all existing lanes will remain open during morning and evening commuting times, and all ramp detours will be temporary and short-term in duration.
Weekly Travel Advisories
See below for the list of traffic advisories for the upcoming week.
- Woodside Road between PA Route 32/River Road and Taylorsville Road – Daytime closures six days a week, with detours at Mt. Eyre Road to the north and PA Route 332/East Afton Ave. to the south – 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, April 12, to Saturday, April 17. These restrictions are expected to continue until late April. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW DETOUR MAP)
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Brief traffic stoppages possible in the vicinity of where River Road/PA Route 32 crosses beneath the Scudder Falls (I-295) Toll Bridge, 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, April 12, through Friday, April 16.
- I-295 WB (PA-Bound) in vicinity of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted west of the bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, April 12, through Friday, April 16.
- I-295 EB and the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge (NJ-bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel noon 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, April 12, through Friday, April 16.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, April 12, to Friday, April 16.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, April 12, to Friday, April 16.
New Jersey side
- I-295 NB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern extending onto the new completed upstream span of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, April 12, through Friday, April 16.
- I-295 SB (NJ-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, April 12, through Friday, April 16.
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – Continuing 24/7 closure with traffic shifted through the adjoining I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts for travel toward Trenton or onto I-295. ALSO, periodic traffic stoppages controlled by flaggers may be necessary in the detour area Monday through Friday.
- Route 29 SB Connector Lane between Roundabouts – Periodic brief stoppages by flaggers are possible at any time Monday, April 12, through Friday, April 16.
- NJ Route 175/Upper River Road entry ramp to I-295 SB – 24/7 closure continuing through spring 2021. DETOUR: Use the southern roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 interchange to access the on-ramp for I-295 SB.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
- Closure of the NJ Route 29 SB bypass lane beneath the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge in New Jersey; no other project-related lane closures are scheduled for April 10-11 and 17-18.
Delaware Canal Towpath (PA side) – Towpath closures are not anticipated during April.
Delaware & Raritan Canal Towpath (NJ side) – Daily closure/stoppages possible 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. These restrictions – when implemented – will allow for construction of a connecting path and access ramp to the shared-use bike-ped facility that is expected to open on the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge in fall 2021. Canal path open on weekends.
New Start Date -- Daytime Closures/Detours of the Woodside Road Segment near Scudder Falls Toll bridge to Begin Wednesday, March 31
Traffic Shift Map for NJ Route 29 SB Bypass Closure
Detour for the NJ Rte. 175/River Road On-Ramp to I-295 SB (Pink Map)
Intermittent Daytime Closures of Delaware Canal Towpath Possible through January 2021
Closures/Stoppages on NJ D&R Canal Towpath Section near Scudder Falls Bridge through January 2021