The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. Various measure will be used to manage construction impacts.
All major construction activities will be evaluated for their impacts on traffic to ensure construction is sequenced in a manner that imposes the lowest feasible impact on the traveling public. While traffic shifts and mid-day/overnight lane closures are necessary to complete the work, all existing lanes will remain open during morning and evening commuting times, and all ramp detours will be temporary and short-term in duration.
Weekly Travel Advisories
See below for the list of traffic advisories for the upcoming week.
- I-295 WB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted west of the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Sept. 28, through Friday, Oct. 2.
- I-295 EB and the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge (NJ-bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Sept. 28, through Friday, Oct. 2.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Sept. 28, to Friday, Oct. 2.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel Monday, Sept. 28, to Friday, Oct. 2.
- Woodside Road/Taylorsville Road Intersection – Intermittent lane closures controlled by flaggers 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Sept. 28, to Friday, Oct. 2.
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Possible intermittent traffic stoppages controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Sept. 28, to Friday, Oct. 2.
New Jersey side
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – Continuing 24/7 closure with traffic shifted through the adjoining I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts for travel toward Trenton or onto I-295. ALSO, periodic traffic stoppages controlled by flaggers may be necessary in the detour area Monday through Friday.
- I-295 NB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern extending onto the new completed upstream span of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Sept. 28, through Friday, Oct. 2.
- I-295 SB (NJ-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Sept. 28, through Friday, Oct. 2.
- I-295 SB Entry Ramp from NJ Route 175/River Road – 24/7 closure continuing through spring 2021. DETOUR: Use the southern roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 interchange to access the on-ramp for I-295 SB
- Route 175/Upper River Road – Daytime closure with thru-traffic detoured in both directions to nearby Route 29 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Sept. 28, to Friday, Oct. 2.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
No project-related lane closures are scheduled for the weekends of Sept. 26-27 and Oct. 3-4 -- except for the long term NJ Route 29 SB bypass lane diversion and detour indicated above.
Towpaths for Delaware Canal Towpath (PA side) – Sporadic daytime closure/stoppages possible 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays for project-related construction activities through September; open on weekends.
Delaware & Raritan Canal (NJ side) – Daily closure/stoppages possible 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays now through October. These restrictions – when implemented – will allow for construction of a connecting path and access ramp to the shared-use bike-ped facility that is expected to open on the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge in late summer/early fall 2021. Canal path open on weekends.
NOISE WARNING –Cofferdam and temporary in-river work platform construction in the vicinity of Park Island requires vibratory hammering and pile driving; this noise is necessary to maintain the project schedule while complying with environmental-impact restrictions.
Traffic Shift Map for NJ Route 29 SB Bypass Closure
Detour for the NJ Rte. 175/River Road On-Ramp to I-295 SB (Pink Map)
Intermittent Daytime Closures of Delaware Canal Towpath Possible through September 2020
NJ D&R Canal Towpath Section near Scudder Falls Bridge open through September 2020