The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. Various measure will be used to manage construction impacts.
All major construction activities will be evaluated for their impacts on traffic to ensure construction is sequenced in a manner that imposes the lowest feasible impact on the traveling public. While traffic shifts and mid-day/overnight lane closures are necessary to complete the work, all existing lanes will remain open during morning and evening commuting times, and all ramp detours will be temporary and short-term in duration.
Weekly Travel Advisories
See below for the list of traffic advisories for the upcoming week.
LOWER MAKEFIELD, NJ – The delivery and installation of steel girders for the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge’s downstream spans near PA Route 32/River Road is on the cusp of being completed this week, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
The achievement of this milestone means that recent weekday closures and detours of the PA Route 32/River Road segment near the bridge will no longer be necessary after Thursday, January 21.
Bridge construction work will continue, however, and periodic short-duration flagger-controlled traffic stoppages might be necessary at the PA Route 32/River Road during weekday daytime hours until further notice.
Meanwhile, the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project’s schedule of prospective travel restrictions for the week of January 17 are as follows:
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Intermittent flagger-controlled traffic stoppages in the vicinity of where River Road/PA Route 32 crosses beneath the Scudder Falls (I-295) Toll Bridge, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Jan. 25, to Friday, Jan. 29.
- I-295 WB (PA-Bound) in vicinity of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted west of the bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Jan. 25, through Friday, Jan. 29.
- I-295 EB and the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge (NJ-bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane travel 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Jan. 25, through Friday, Jan. 29.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Jan. 25 to Friday, Jan. 29.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Jan. 25 to Friday, Jan. 29.
- Woodside Road/Taylorsville Road Intersection – Intermittent lane closures controlled by flaggers 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Jan. 25, to Friday, Jan. 29.
Note: Steel girder deliveries for second bridge span -- Delays are possible at and around the I-295/Taylorsville Road interchange (Exit 10), Woodside Road and PA Route 32/River Road during deliveries of steel-girders, approximately 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday. Allow extra time if driving near the interchange at these times. Traffic stoppages up to 15 minutes are possible.
New Jersey side
- I-295 NB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern extending onto the new completed upstream span of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, Jan. 25, through Friday, Jan. 29.
- I-295 SB (NJ-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Jan. 25, through Friday, Jan. 29.
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – Continuing 24/7 closure with traffic shifted through the adjoining I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts for travel toward Trenton or onto I-295. ALSO, periodic traffic stoppages controlled by flaggers may be necessary in the detour area Monday through Friday.
- Route 29 SB Connector Lane between Roundabouts – Periodic brief stoppages by flaggers are possible at any time Monday, Jan. 25, through Friday, Jan. 29.
- NJ Route 175/Upper River Road entry ramp to I-295 SB – 24/7 closure continuing through spring 2021. DETOUR: Use the southern roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 interchange to access the on-ramp for I-295 SB.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
Aside from the closure of the Route 29 SB bypass lane beneath the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge, no project-related lane closures are scheduled for Jan. 23-24 and 30-31.
Delaware Canal Towpath (PA side) – Intermittent stoppages to ensure public safety for work in the vicinity of the approach bridge that carries I-295 across the Delaware Canal weekdays. Open weekends.
Delaware & Raritan Canal Towpath (NJ side) – Daily closure/stoppages possible 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays through January. These restrictions – when implemented – will allow for construction of a connecting path and access ramp to the shared-use bike-ped facility that is expected to open on the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge in fall 2021. Canal path open on weekends.
Weekday Closures of PA Route 32/River Road near Scudder Falls Toll Bridge to Resume Monday, January 4
Traffic Shift Map for NJ Route 29 SB Bypass Closure
Detour for the NJ Rte. 175/River Road On-Ramp to I-295 SB (Pink Map)
Intermittent Daytime Closures of Delaware Canal Towpath Possible through January 2021
Closures/Stoppages on NJ D&R Canal Towpath Section near Scudder Falls Bridge through January 2021