The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. Various measure will be used to manage construction impacts.
All major construction activities will be evaluated for their impacts on traffic to ensure construction is sequenced in a manner that imposes the lowest feasible impact on the traveling public. While traffic shifts and mid-day/overnight lane closures are necessary to complete the work, all existing lanes will remain open during morning and evening commuting times, and all ramp detours will be temporary and short-term in duration.
Weekly Travel Advisories
See below for the list of traffic advisories for the upcoming week.
- I-295 EB and the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge (NJ-bound) – Single-lane travel (one of two lanes closed) likely Monday to Friday (also possible on Saturday in the event of any weekday cancellations of scheduled concrete deliveries and pours.).
- I-295 WB (PA-Bound) west of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted west of the bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, June 21, through Friday, June 25.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, June 21, to Friday, June 25.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, June 21, to Friday, June 25.
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Brief traffic stoppages possible in the vicinity of where River Road/PA Route 32 crosses beneath the Scudder Falls (I-295) Toll Bridge, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday, June 21, to Friday, June 25.
New Jersey side
- NJ Route 175/Upper River Road in the vicinity of the I-295 overpass – Daytime closure/detour via nearby Route 29 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, June 21, to Friday, June 25.
- I-295 NB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern extending onto the new completed upstream span of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, June 21, to Friday, June 25.
- I-295 SB – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, June 21, through Friday, June 25.
- Route 29 NB – Potential short-term stoppages and flagging 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, June 21, to Friday, June 25.
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – Continuing 24/7 closure with traffic shifted through the adjoining I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts for travel toward Trenton or onto I-295.
- Route 29 connector lanes between roundabouts -- Periodic traffic stoppages controlled by flaggers may be necessary in the detour area Monday through Friday.
- NJ Route 175/Upper River Road entry ramp to I-295 SB – 24/7 closure continuing through spring 2021. DETOUR: Use the southern roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 interchange to access the on-ramp for I-295 SB.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
- A single-lane closure is now scheduled in the NJ-bound direction on the Scudder Falls Bridge (I-295 EB from Pennsylvania side) for a concrete pour that is expected begin during Friday overnight hours and continue into Saturday morning, June 12. Aside from this closure and the blocked NJ Route 29 bypass lane beneath the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge in New Jersey, no other project-related lane closures are scheduled for June 19-20 and 26-27.
Delaware Canal Towpath (PA side) – Towpath closures are not anticipated during June.
Delaware & Raritan Canal Towpath (NJ side) – Daily closure/stoppages possible 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays through June. These restrictions – when implemented – will allow for construction of a connecting path and access ramp to the shared-use bike-ped facility that is expected to open on the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge late-summer/early-fall 2021. Canal path open on weekends.
NJ Route 29 Southbound Access Ramp to I-295 Southbound Closed and Detoured Thursday Night, May 20
I-295 Northbound Exit Ramp to NJ Route 29 Southbound Detoured Via Nearby Route 175/ Upper River Road Thursday Night, May 20
NJ Route 29 Southbound Connector Ramp near the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge Closed and Detoured Via NJ Route 175/Upper River Road Thursday Night, May 20
Traffic Shift Map for NJ Route 29 SB Bypass Closure
Detour for the NJ Rte. 175/River Road On-Ramp to I-295 SB (Pink Map)
Closures/Stoppages on NJ D&R Canal Towpath Section near Scudder Falls Bridge through May 2021