EWING, NJ – NJ Route 175/Upper River Road – a short-distance, two-lane thoroughfare that crosses beneath I-295 on the New Jersey side of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge – is scheduled to be closed during weekday daytime hours starting Monday.
The weekday closures are projected to last up to three weeks. Next week, they are scheduled to be in effect 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, March 30 through Friday, April 3 (Friday work to occur if a scheduled workday is cancelled due to bad weather earlier in the week).
When Route 175/Upper River Road is closed, affected thru-travel motorists are encouraged to use nearby Route 29 as a detour route. Access for local residents will be maintained during closure periods.
The road closure is needed to allow for construction activities related to the construction of a new approach bridge that will carry I-295 SB traffic from the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge’s downstream span when it is completed and opened to traffic in late summer 2021. The work will involve heavy equipment used for drilling shafts to support the new approach bridge, which will cross over Route 175/Upper River Road, the Delaware and Raritan Canal, and the Route 29 NB bypass roadway.
The full schedule of travel restrictions for the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project for the week of March 29 is as follows:
New Jersey side
- Route 175/Upper River Road – Closed weekdays with thru-traffic detoured in both directions to nearby Route 29 8 a.m. to 8.p.m. March 30, through Thursday, April 2 (Friday, April 3 to be added to make up for any bad-weather day during the week.)
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – An around-the-clock closure with a shift of traffic through the adjoining I-295/Route 29 interchange’s connector ramps and roundabouts for travel toward Trenton and other points south. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 NB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern extending onto the new completed upstream span of the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, March 30, to Friday, April 3.
- I-295 SB (NJ-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern permitted 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, March 30, to Friday, April 3.
- Route 29 SB & NB in the vicinity of Scudder Falls Toll Bridge – Intermittent FLAGGER-controlled travel 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, March 30, to Friday, April 3.
- NJ Route 175/River Road Entry Ramp to I-295 SB – 24/7 closure continuing through spring 2021. DETOUR: Use the southern roundabout at the nearby I-295/Route 29 interchange to access the on-ramp for I-295 SB.
- I-295 WB (PA-Bound) – Intermittent off-peak single-lane pattern – if needed for construction activities – permitted west of the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, March 30, through Friday, April 3.
- I-295 EB approaching the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge and continuing across the bridge to NJ where the designation becomes I-295 SB – Off-peak intermittent single-lane travel – if needed for construction activities – 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, March 30, through Friday, April 3.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, March 30, to Friday, April 3.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, March 30, to Friday, April 3
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Possible intermittent traffic stoppages controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, March 30, to Friday, April 3.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
Aside from the NJ Route 29 SB bypass lane closure, no project-related lane closures are scheduled for the weekends of March 28-29 and April 4-5.
Delaware Canal Towpath (PA side) and Delaware & Raritan Canal Towpath (NJ side) – Intermittent daytime closures possible 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays for overhead I-295 approach bridge construction now through April; both paths open on weekends.