Single-Lane PA-Bound Travel Next Week for Concrete Pouring at New Scudder Falls Toll Bridge’s Upstream Span
Periodic Overnight Traffic Stoppages Also Scheduled for NJ Route 29 NB
LOWER MAKEFIELD, PA – Construction activities for the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project will necessitate a series of travel restrictions on the New Jersey side of the Scudder Falls Bridge next week.
The restrictions will involve established long-term detours, some periodic brief-duration overnight traffic stoppages, and off-peak single-lane travel patterns in the Pennsylvania-bound direction at the current Scudder Falls (I-295) Bridge.
The full schedule of next week’s project-related travel restrictions is as follows:
New Jersey side
- I-295 NB/WB (old I-95 SB) approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge Pennsylvania-bound – Single-lane travel patterns possible 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, April 8, through Friday, April 12, 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day). Note: Within these time periods, single-lane travel is possible on the Scudder Falls Bridge for concrete deliveries 2 a.m. to noon on any morning including Saturdays (weather sensitive).
- I-295 EB/SB (old I-95 NB) crossing the Scudder Falls Bridge into New Jersey – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) on Monday, April 8, through Friday, April 12.
- I-295/Route 29 Interchange (Exit 76) – The following closures and detours are 24/7 until late June:
- I-295 EB/SB Exit Ramp to Route 29 NB (first exit in NJ after crossing Scudder Falls Bridge from Pennsylvania) – Continue along I-295 SB to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB for return to the Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) and the ramp to Route 29 NB. See ORANGE MAP
- Route 29 SB & NB entry ramps to I-295 NB/WB and PA-bound travel on the Scudder Falls Bridge –Proceed into the downstream roundabout and use the ramp for I-295 SB, follow to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB and travel across the bridge to I-295 WB in Pennsylvania. – See BLUE MAP
- I-295 NB exit ramp to Route 29 SB (at last exit in NJ) – Proceed across the Scudder Falls Bridge for a U-turn at the Taylorsville Road interchange (Exit 10) in PA, take I-295 SB across the bridge for connection with Route 29 SB via the first NJ exit ramp and the downstream roundabout. See GREEN MAP
- Route 29 NB bypass roadway – Intermittent short-duration, flagger-controlled stoppages 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, April 8, to Friday, April 12; AND intermittent flagger-controlled stoppages (up to 15-20 minutes for girder installations at new overhead I-295 approach bridge now under construction) 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, April 8, through Friday, April 12.
- Route 175/River Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel patterns 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, April 8, to Friday, April 12; AND OVERNIGHT closure with posted detour 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, April 8, through Friday, April 12. Note: Motorists seeking access ramp to I-295 SB (old I-95 NB) should use the new on-ramp off the downstream roundabout at the nearby Route 29/I-295 interchange.
- I-295 EB & WB in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge – Off-peak single-lane travel patterns possible due to construction/demolition along I-295 on the NJ side of the Scudder Falls Bridge Monday, April 8, to Saturday, April 13. Note: Possible concrete deliveries on the bridge mornings of Tuesday, April 9, to Saturday, April 13.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, April 8, to Friday, April 12.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, April 8, to Friday, April 12.
- Woodside Road – Intermittent right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, April 8, to Friday, April 12.
- PA Route 32/River Road – Intermittent alternating traffic controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, April 8, to Friday, April 12.
Weekends: Aside from any Friday overnight travel restrictions extending into Saturdays, the overnight restrictions at NJ Route 175/River Road, and the uninterrupted 24/7 ramp closures on the upstream side of the I-295/Route 29 interchange, no other lane closures and detours are scheduled for the weekends of April 6-7 and 13-14. Note: Saturday and Sunday work can be scheduled if any days are lost due to weather in to maintain the project schedule.
Canal Towpaths near the Scudder Falls Bridge:
NJ side –Intermittent daytime and nighttime closures of the Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath segment in New Jersey are extended through April. (Closures needed for overhead girder installation and bridge deck construction.) Note: Towpath is expected to be accessible for opening day of fishing season Saturday, April 6.
PA side – Occasional weekday closures of the Delaware Canal towpath segment in Pennsylvania until June – but open on weekends.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.