EWING, NJ – Single-lane travel patterns are scheduled to be implemented in the PA-bound direction approaching the Scudder Falls (I-295) Bridge on four consecutive mornings next week, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
The travel restriction on the bridge’s I-295 NB approach from New Jersey will allow concrete delivery trucks to empty their loads onto the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge’s upstream span, which is nearing completion and is on track to open to traffic sometime in July. Weather permitting, concrete deliveries are scheduled to take place each morning Tuesday to Friday.
The full list of project-related travel restrictions for next week are as follows:
New Jersey side
- I-295 NB/WB (old I-95 SB) approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge Pennsylvania-bound – Single-lane travel patterns possible 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, April 22, through Friday, April 26. Note: Within these time periods, single-lane travel is possible on the Scudder Falls Bridge for concrete deliveries 1 a.m. to noon Tuesday, April 23 to Friday, April 26 (weather sensitive).
- I-295 EB/SB (old I-95 NB) crossing the Scudder Falls Bridge into New Jersey – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns noon to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) on Monday, April 22, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. Tuesday, April 23, through Friday, April 26.
- I-295/Route 29 Interchange (Exit 76) – The following closures and detours are 24/7 until late June:
- I-295 EB/SB Exit Ramp to Route 29 NB (first exit in NJ after crossing Scudder Falls Bridge from Pennsylvania) – Continue along I-295 SB to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB for return to the Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) and the ramp to Route 29 NB. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW ORANGE DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 SB & NB entry ramps to I-295 NB/WB and PA-bound travel on the Scudder Falls Bridge –Proceed into the downstream roundabout and use the ramp for I-295 SB, follow to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB and travel across the bridge to I-295 WB in Pennsylvania. – (CLICK HERE TO VIEW BLUE DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 NB exit ramp to Route 29 SB (at last exit in NJ) – Proceed across the Scudder Falls Bridge for a U-turn at the Taylorsville Road interchange (Exit 10) in PA, take I-295 SB across the bridge for connection with Route 29 SB via the first NJ exit ramp and the downstream roundabout. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW GREEN DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 NB bypass roadway – Intermittent short-duration, flagger-controlled stoppages noon to 5 p.m. Monday, April 22, and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, to Friday, April 26.
- Route 175/River Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel patterns noon to 6 p.m. Monday, April 22, and 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 23 to Friday, April 26.
- I-295 EB & WB in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge – Off-peak single-lane travel patterns possible due to construction/demolition along I-295 on the NJ side of the Scudder Falls Bridge Monday, April 22, to Friday, April 26. Note: Concrete deliveries likely on the bridge in the PA-bound direction during the mornings of Tuesday, April 23, to Friday, April 26.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel noon to 4 p.m. Monday, April 22, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, to Friday, April 26.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel noon to 6 p.m. Monday, April 22, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, to Friday, April 26.
- Woodside Road – Intermittent right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel noon to 6 p.m. Monday, April 22, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, to Friday, April 26.
- PA Route 32/River Road – Intermittent alternating traffic controlled by flaggers noon to 5 p.m. Monday, April 22, and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, to Friday, April 269.
Easter weekend: Any Friday overnight travel restrictions must be lifted by 6 a.m. Saturday, April 20. A moratorium on lane closures will then continue until noon Monday, April 22. The uninterrupted 24/7 ramp closures on the upstream side of the I-295/Route 29 interchange will continue through the weekend and are not expected to be lifted until late June.
Canal Towpaths near the Scudder Falls Bridge:
NJ side –Intermittent daytime and nighttime closures of the Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath segment in New Jersey are extended through April.
PA side – Occasional weekday closures of the Delaware Canal towpath segment in Pennsylvania until June – but open on weekends.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.