The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. In part to avoid traffic impacts, trestle causeways are being built into the river to enable work crews to access and build the new bridge from both shorelines.
See below for the list of major construction tasks that are underway. Check back regularly as construction schedules are subject to change.
Construction Update - Week of January 20
Major project work activities for the week of January 20 include:
- I-295: Continue drainage installation at various locations in PA on I-295 and ramps in PA and NJ. Installation of temporary and permanent highway lighting in PA.
- PA Approach: Continue construction of the pedestrian bridge, including installation of deck forms and shear stud installation. Continue construction for abutment walls at the Taylorsville Road bridge. Begin installation of piles for the new abutments at the canal bridge.
- Main River Bridge: Continue installing piles and abutment walls, continue drilled shaft and lagging installation for ramp walls. Continue footing construction for pier number 5. Finish cure and strip/backfill footing forms and pier columns. Continue trestle/finger installation in PA and NJ for northbound span.
- Bridge Monitor/AET building - perform remaining punch list work for building, sidewalks and parking lot.
- NJ I-295 approach – Begin drainage installation on Route 29 northbound. *See related road closure alert, beginning January 21. Continue utility, highway lighting conduit and junction box installation at various locations.
|Project Construction Start||Spring 2017|
|Install temporary trestle upstream of the existing bridge||Completed/fully removed|
|Construct upstream span of the new bridge||Completed|
|Widening (to the inside) of the PA I-295 approach – from Exit 8 (old exit 49) to the bridge||Upstream half completed/second phase now in progress|
|First span of new bridge open to traffic||Opened overnight July 9, 2019|
|Start All-Electronic Tolling (PA-bound only)||July 14, 2019|
|Second span of new bridge open to traffic||Late 2021|
|Estimated Project Completion||Early 2022|