The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. In part to avoid traffic impacts, trestle causeways are being built into the river to enable work crews to access and build the new bridge from both shorelines.
See below for the list of major construction tasks that are underway. Check back regularly as construction schedules are subject to change.
Construction Update - Week of November 18
Major project work activities for the week of November 18 include:
- I-295: Continue roadway construction, including embankment and drainage installation on I-295 and ramps in PA and NJ. Installation of temporary and permanent highway lighting in PA. Resume work on sound wall near Route 32.
- PA Approach: Continue work on drainage basins and landscape work. Continue work on sign structures and pedestals. Continue construction of the pedestrian bridge, including installation of deck forms, placing back fill and erecting structural steel. Continue stage 2 pile installation for abutments and install piles at the Taylorsville Road bridge. At canal bridge, begin stage 2 demolition. Continue landscaping at various locations in PA and NJ.
- Main River Bridge: Continue demolition of Stage 2 of the existing structure and excavate for the removal of abutments. Continue drilled shaft installation for ramp walls. Continue splicing sheet piles and excavation within the cofferdam for pier 5. Complete excavation, pour mud slab and begin drilled shaft installation at Pier 6.
- Bridge Monitor/AET building - perform remaining punch list work for building, sidewalks and parking lot.
- NJ I-295 approach - Continue utility, highway lighting conduit and junction box installation at various locations. Continue mobilization and begin drilled shafts for ramp walls. Continue day and night work on cofferdams.
|Project Construction Start||Spring 2017|
|Install temporary trestle upstream of the existing bridge||Completed/fully removed|
|Construct upstream span of the new bridge||Completed|
|Widening (to the inside) of the PA I-295 approach – from Exit 8 (old exit 49) to the bridge||Upstream half completed/second phase now in progress|
|First span of new bridge open to traffic||Opened overnight July 9, 2019|
|Start All-Electronic Tolling (PA-bound only)||July 14, 2019|
|Second span of new bridge open to traffic||Late 2021|
|Estimated Project Completion||Early 2022|