The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. In part to avoid traffic impacts, trestle causeways are being built into the river to enable work crews to access and build the new bridge from both shorelines.
See below for the list of major construction tasks that are underway. Check back regularly as construction schedules are subject to change.
Construction Update - Week of June 24
Major project work activities for the week of June 24 include:
- PA-I-295 - Continue roadway construction, including paving, drainage, guide rail, highway lighting and barrier installation with the I-295 roadway and ramps at Taylorsville Road. See related ramp closures and detour information.
- Taylorsville Road and Canal bridge - Strip deck overhangs and install noise wall at the canal bridge.
- Main River Bridge - Continue construction of parapets and installation of drainage pipe and utility conduits beneath the bridge. Anchor bolt grouting, welding bearings and stripping deck overhangs. Continue testing of the AET equipment.
- Bridge Monitor/AET building - perform punch list work for building, sidewalks and parking lot.
- New Jersey I-295/Rte. 29 interchange (Exit 76, Old Exit 1) area – continue drainage, lighting work, subbase. curbing and paving activities at various ramps for the new northern roundabout, highway lighting work; See related ramp closure information.
- NJ I-295 approach - Continue highway lighting, communication and electrical conduit at various locations. Continue installation of debris shielding beneath the existing main river bridge in preparation for demolition.
|Project Construction Start||Spring 2017|
|Install temporary trestle upstream of the existing bridge||Completed/partially removed|
|Construct upstream span of the new bridge||In progress|
|Widening (to the inside) of the PA I-95 approach – from Exit 49 to the bridge||In progress|
|First span of new bridge open to traffic||Date TBD in 2019|
|Start All-Electronic Tolling (PA-bound only)||Date TBD in 2019|
|Second span of new bridge open to traffic||Summer/Fall 2021|
|Estimated Project Completion||Second Half 2021|