The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is being staged in a manner that will minimize impacts to traffic, local business and communities. In part to avoid traffic impacts, trestle causeways are being built into the river to enable work crews to access and build the new bridge from both shorelines.
See below for the list of major construction tasks that are underway. Check back regularly as construction schedules are subject to change.
Construction Update - Week of February 18
Major project work activities for the week of February 18 include:
- PA-I-295 - Install drainage within the I-295 median, continue utility construction in area of Taylorsville and Woodside Roads and the Bridge Monitor/AET building, continue highway lighting at various locations, begin deck formwork at Taylorsville Road bridge.
- Canal bridge - continue final preparation for and place deck and back walls, continue construction of gabion drainage channel between canal and Taylorsville Road bridge.
- PA approach to Main River Bridge - continue demolition and installation of the support of excavation, continue exterior framing and interior drywall at the BM/AET building.
- Main River Bridge - continue deck formwork, scuppers, rebar and continue setting screed rail and bulkheads, install utility conduit at various locations
- New Jersey I-295/Rte. 29 interchange (Exit 76, Old Exit 1) area – resume drainage, lighting work and site clearing activities at various ramps for the new northern roundabout, highway lighting work; See related ramp closure information beginning February 18.
- NJ I-295 approach - Continue demolition and installation of the supports at main approach bridge. Continue construction of new abutments and piers including piles, drilled shafts, columns and MSE walls. Continue highway lighting, communication and electrical conduit at various locations.
|Project Construction Start||Spring 2017|
|Install temporary trestle upstream of the existing bridge||Completed/partially removed|
|Construct upstream span of the new bridge||In progress|
|Widening (to the inside) of the PA I-95 approach – from Exit 49 to the bridge||In progress|
|First span of new bridge open to traffic||Date TBD in 2019|
|Start All-Electronic Tolling (PA-bound only)||Date TBD in 2019|
|Second span of new bridge open to traffic||Summer/Fall 2021|
|Estimated Project Completion||Second Half 2021|